Wednesday 10 May 2017

Back to Yorkshire :: Part 2

Hello Lovelies,
on the Friday of our short break n Yorkshire mum and I took the opportunity to drive into the dales. We headed up Wharfdale and stopped here to admire the sunlight on Kilnsey crag


It's beautiful limestone country and I was delighted to spot Lapwings right by the road.


They were flying overhead and I loved listening to their "pee-wit" call. You can see one flying in the centre of this photo if you look closely.


Here's a clearer view.


I crossed this cattle grid.


To get a closer look at the lambs.


Who were so small and cute.


Soon we moved on and came to the village of Conistone  and I went exploring while mum sketched. The daffodils in the churchyard were going over but still looked pretty and there was so much birdsong here.


Hello Mr Robin.


It was such a pretty and peaceful spot.


I explored a footpath I noticed and climbed a short distance to look back on the village and Kilnsey crag beyond.


The sun came out as I returned to the car and the old buildings looked beautiful.



Here's the view mum was sketching.



and her drawing.


We carried on, past more sheep and lambs.


Through more pretty villages.


and had to stop regularly to capture the wonderful views.


After a while we arrived at Buckden and parked the car again.


There's an information barn here.



And happily, nice toilets. After a visit I said bye to mum and set off on a walk.


I like walking where there are lots of clear signs :0)


The path climbed steadily and delicate little primroses made me smile.


Here in upper Wharfdale it felt much earlier in spring than it did down in the midlands, and also earlier than down in West Yorkshire where we were staying.


The rocky path kept climbing.


And the reward...as always...was a lovely view.




This huge boulder "gate post" made me smile.


I looked down on the farmer feeding his flock.


And always remembered to close the gate :0)



A little further on I was down in the valley...at Cray....where the Daffodils were still at their best.


And there were stepping stones across the stream.


The water level did seem low, a result of our dry spring I'm sure.


I was going to sit by the river and eat my picnic, but decided to carry on a while.


Passing lots more lovely lambs.


And then spotting a place to shelter from the wind while I ate my snack.


A cinnamon bagel from the breakfast buffet was very welcome.


I don't have the right walking  map for this part of the dales, so I had improvised by taking a screen shot of Jenny's walk...Thank you Jenny :0)


It's a shame the sun had disappeared as the views back down the valley were lovely.



Here they are still waiting for the wild garlic to flower too.


I was not following all of Jenny's route, but looking for the path that would take me down into Hubberholme  to meet mum. There's the sign.



The lambs were going around in little groups here. Feeling brave as I approached.


Until a Baaa from an adult called them back to a safe distance.


Soon the village came into view.


And I met up with mum, who had spent the time I was away painting. I loved the spring colours in her watercolour.


As it was getting late in the afternoon we decided to start heading back down the valley, stopping at a lovely little tea shop on the way.
 

Oh, the joy of a weekday visit outside the school holidays. We had the place to ourselves.


I can thoroughly recommend the Spiced Apple cake ...and the place mat, with it's view of Pen-y-ghent made me smile, reminding me of my previous dales walk last September.


There's one final Yorkshire walk from this trip still to share. But I'll save that for next time.
Jacquie x

20 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely. Can you take me with you on your next trip? I'll walk with you while your dear mum paints! I'll pay for the petrol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love it when you share artwork by your mom or yourself, Jacquie...and all those lovely sheep and the countryside with stone cottages...a perfect post! I have been experimenting more with watercolors and tried sketching down by our pond yesterday. I got stumped trying to draw grass, but still enjoyed trying. Have you seen "Henry Moore's Sheep Sketchbook"? My oldest daughter gave me a copy and I love it. Do you watch the BBC "Escape to the Country?" I can watch episodes on Netflix here in the USA and am enjoying them so much. Thanks for publishing your wonderful posts. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was another wonderful time spent reading your blog and admiring the lovely country scenes.....your Mum does great sketches and her painting awesome ☺☺ Look forward to next post xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful spot. That first photo of Buckden is completely delightful. I love the grey stone of that area, it blends so beautifully with the green everywhere. A country walk with you is a very calming start to the day, thank you! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The views are amazing, and I always enjoy seeing your Mum's wonderful sketches and painting. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing your Mum's pictures as much as your photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Computer gremlins at work, not sure if this will post twice.) lol A lovely hilly hike. Always lovely to see your mum's artwork. That church yard path with all the daffodils looks like a lovely sketch waiting to happen. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely and charming was this post! The scenes were idyllic and made me, once again, wish I were there. I love your robins. They are so much prettier than the U.S. robins which are longer and leaner. The UK robins are rotund and puffy and endearing. You mom's painting--oh my, I do love it too. I wish I had a friend like you here in the U.S. Years ago I did and then we moved away. I'd never been fond of walking. She was a neighbor and one day I was sitting on my porch and she was passing by. She invited me to walk with her. I told I'd love too but feared I'd slow her down b/c I was so out of shape. She encouraged me to join her and I did. After that we met daily and walked for an hour. She slowed her pace for me at first, but it didn't take long until I was able to keep up with her. We had such lovely chats and fellowship. When I moved away (my husbands work transferred him) I eventually quit walking. I enjoy it so much but I don't feel safe walking alone and I live on a busy highway so walking means driving into town, not convenient for daily walks. We've been trying to find a home in town that is conducive to walking in the neighborhood. Thank you for sharing your part of the world! I do love my visits here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty and interesting. And the sketching. I love it that you post a picture of the "real" view along with the sketch-- I really have no idea how that all works. What to leave out and what to put in, and all. Artists must have special eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a gorgeous area isn't it? So glad you enjoyed that lovely walk too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photographs are perfect and your mums artwork lovely. You have captured the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, so very glad I found time to catch up on blogs today with the rainy weather we are having.
    I loved all your photos so much!
    Just toobeautiful for words.
    Your Moms artwork is fabulous.
    But the scenery just took my breath away!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband is originally from the Durham area, and we have spent many a day walking in the Dales. I felt transported there through your pictures - thank you! And your Mum's artwork is simply amazing. I am inspired (again) to take an art class!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many more happy memories of walking these paths, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Garlic is already out here. My big girl made garlic pesto last week. There is a thrifty idea for you! Lovely walking views as ever. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely walk and I really enjoyed coming along with you. It must be perfect when you and your mum can go away and both do something you enjoy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another beautiful walk in Yorkshire! Lovely countryside and photos, and I really like your Mum's watercolour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such lovely land! I dream of day going to England and taking walks like this in the countryside, seeing villages and stopping for tea or coffee. My husband's grandparents from his father side of the family were both British. My husband would like to go for a visit someday. Do you know of travel guides who can take people on walks similar to yours? Just dreaming a bit! Love the drawings and painting! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely places, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.